Total rewarded for its road safety initiatives
In the framework of the 34th International Automobile Festival Grands Prix organized on January 29th 2019, Jean Todt, President of the International Automobile Federation (FIA) and Special Envoy of the U.N. Secretary General for Road Safety, awarded Patrick Pouyanné, Chairman of the Board and CEO of Total with the very new “Jean Todt Award for Road Safety”.
This award notably honors Total's commitment for Road Safety that can be reflected in its $1 million contribution to the United Nations Road Safety Trust Fund and in its support as a member of the FIA’s High Level Panel for Road Safety to the first country mission in Myanmar launched in 2016.
Total was also awarded for its numerous road safety initiatives.
Besides Total’s commitment at the FIA, several other elements were mentioned:
- The Group is a member of the Global Road Safety Partnership (GRSP) and of the International Road Federation (IRF)
- The Group’s employees and stakeholders are committed to respecting the 12 golden rules for safety, one being dedicated to traffic
- Total’s vehicle fleet was renewed in Africa
- The SafeDriver campaign that is dedicated to sensitize Total’s employee and providers was launched in 2018
- VIA, a global road safety education program for 10 to 18 year-olds program was developed in 2018 in partnership with Michelin
During this ceremony, it was also highlighted that thanks to these actions, Total managed to halve serious road crashes within its vehicle fleet between 2013 and 2017.