Total and its stakeholders
Openness, dialogue and engagement are essential for developing long-term, constructive and transparent relationships with stakeholders. As such, Total sets up dialogue procedures with its stakeholders at every level of its organization.
In accordance with the Group’s framework on societal matters, stakeholders are identified, mapped and prioritized according to their levels of expectations and involvement. This mapping is kept up to date. A structured dialogue with the stakeholders is established and maintained, initially at local level but also at the central level.
If Total is able to build and develop partnerships throughout the world, it is also because it has incorporated a local value creation process into its development model. This process is systematic, professional and a major competitive advantage.
Based on dialogue with the local population and public and private players, this process is used to identify development priorities and create synergies. The Group intends to apply this approach over the long-term to ensure that its major projects create shared prosperity.
Total's commitments towards its stakeholders
- Promoting equal opportunity, a more international workforce and diversity at all levels of the company.
- Creating and maintaining a good working environment, through respect, non-discrimination and appropriate health and safety conditions.
- Promoting personal and career development through offering training, managing competencies, assessing performance, implementing return on experience, providing information and building a consensus.
Suppliers, service providers and contractors
- Deploying our Fundamental Corporate Responsibility Principles for Purchasing and cascade our responsible purchasing policy.
- Promoting local content in all of our host countries.
- Selecting industrial and business partners who comply with our safety, health, environment, ethics and quality policies.
- Guaranteeing direct contact to private and professional customers.
- Forging partnerships for and with our customers to offer them a highly visible lineup of up-to-date, innovative products and services.
- Listening to our customers, notably through our customer service centers.
- Offering eco-efficient products and services through our Total Ecosolutions program.
Investors and individual shareholders
- Delivering exemplary financial and corporate social responsibility performance.
- Engaging in dialogue, providing information, facilitating the exercise of their rights and building sustainable relationships.
Host countries, politicians and governments
- Not interfering in the political processes of our host countries.
- Building long-term relationships in the public sphere.
- Participating transparently and effectively in the main organizations dealing with energy-related issues.
- Upholding the rules of free competition and reject corruption in all forms.
- Supporting governments' efforts towards advancing transparency in accordance with the EITI framework, and advocate for the public disclose by countries of their Petroleum contracts and licenses.
Neighbors and local communities
- Establishing permanent organizations to engage with neighboring communities.
- Using consistently our stakeholder relationship management tool, SRM+, to help site and affiliate managers implement community development initiatives in liaison with local communities.
- Helping to drive local economic development.
- Being honest, transparent and educational.
- To publicly pledge to participate in discussions of issues to which we can make an informed contribution.
- Communicating responsibly.
- Appointing a dedicated contact for NGOs.
- Forming local partnerships in our host countries, through dialogue.
- Participating actively in the initiatives of the Global Compact (Total named LEAD), IPIECA, the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI), the Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights (VPSHR), the Women’s Empowerment Principles (WEP) and the World Business Council on Sustainable Development (WBCSD).
- Engaging in dialogue and share best practices on corporate responsibility within these organizations.
- Helping to advance global governance.